cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 14:11:33 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 24 May 2005, at 22:42, Upayavira wrote:
>
>> If someone else can offer an existing CMS that has the features they
>> need, and can be installed and operational within a reasonable amount
>> of time, then we'd be asking different questions.
>

> I'm at a conference this week, so e-mail access is erratic.
>
> That said, next week I'll be back, and if we have our Solaris zone set
> up and I have access to it (Antonio?), I'll set up MySQL 4.1 + Daisy
> 1.3M2 on that zone.
>
> We don't have time currently to implement an xdocs importer or exporter,
> but I doubt this is an unachievable task. If anyone wants to beat us to
> it (and please do), there's the ancient JSPWiki importer in the Daisy
> SVN repo (which would need to be updated anyhow). An exporter however is
> a different beast altogether, but we make a sincere promise we'll try to
> get there in the foreseeable future. Not a question of do-a-bility, but
> rather time and priorities.

Forrest, with the Daisy plugin, provides most of the export already
(need a little more work on it to make it complete).

> I wouldn't bother too much with an importer, since IMHO we need a clean
> sheet to work with.

I agree, and using Forrest removes the need to create the importer.

We can either migrate active and accurate documents gradually to Daisy,
or we can just use them from their current location. This provides an
*immediate* start on new documentation without forking content and
without starting from a completely blank slate. In other words, exactly
what was started with the documentation review.

With respect to using Daisy with/without Forrest. Personally, I would
never replace Forrest as it allows content from different sources to be
integrated into the final documentation. In other words it allows us to
leverage content from initiatives such as Planet Cocoon if they start to
produce something worthwhile.

> OK?

We have different views about the final publication stage, but we are in
total agreement about using Daisy as the CMS, so yes, yes yes!!!

Ross