cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Block builder and deployer
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 09:48:23 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Unico Hommes wrote:
>
>> Exactly my thinking. In fact the reason I asked is that I was thinking
>> of starting a Maven2 plugin for cocoon. I've been looking at the
>> emerging Maven2 effort that is due to come out this summer and I think
>> its going to be a killer. IIUC I can just start that in the whiteboard
>> without a vote right?
>

> Yes.
>
> Maven2 is very interesting: it seems that most architectural
> shortcomings of Maven 1 have been fixed.
>
> I have written an xsl that converts the gump descriptor in the block.xml
> files, I just need to test it.

:-D

> I also want to use the Maven Ant tasks to
> download the jars needed, as already voted on this list. For this, and
> to be able to collaborate on transitive dependencies with the other
> projects, we will need to create also a pom.xml

can we generate this? I want to avoid having more than one descriptor file

> for each block, which
> would help also your effort for Maven 2.
>
> BTW, the current schema is inadeguate for MAven2:
>
>   <libraries>
>     <lib id="avalon-framework-api" location="core"/>
>     <lib id="avalon-framework-impl" location="core"/>
>     <lib id="excalibur-xmlutil" location="core"/>
>     <lib id="excalibur-pool" location="core"/>
>     <lib id="excalibur-sourceresolve" location="core"/>
>   </libraries>
>
> I'll have to change it to mimic the Maven pom library entries.

no problem

> OTOMH, maybe it may also be beneficial to use the Maven2 directory
> project layout, at least for blocks.

no problem

The current block builder makes it possible to work on blocks that have a
dependency on another *development version* of a block. What I don't want is
having a build system that requires me to build all dependencies manually and
put the build JARs into my project. This has to happen automatically (as it is
done by the current block builder).

The build system must also be able to resolve all the dependencies on
*development versions* of blocks when it creates IDE descriptor files.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc