cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Small CMS on top of the SVN repository
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 05:49:52 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>>Yes it *is* about the technology. Why don't we have cool docs? Because
>>writing them in XML is a major PITA. That's why I dislike writing docs
>>so much.
>>
>>Give me an htmlarea in a webapp and I'll be happy to dump my brain. And
>>we have this today with Cocoon.
>

> That gets me thinking that perhaps, instead of installing a ready to go
> CMS like Daisy or Lenya or whathaveyou, we should just start right
> there. I mean, install a minimal Cocoon with Linotype at
> cocoon.zones.apache.org and start adding the features we want to it.
>
> As a start I'd volunteer to make Linotype use our SVN repository as its
> backend. I'm sure we can find some space in our repository for that.

My initial idea was very similar (instead of Linotyp I'd use Cocoon Forms with a
widget styled using HTMLArea), see
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonDocumentationSystem. The new flat structure
of documents  (every document is a directory with a bunch of documents) was
designed to be easily integrated into a tiny, self-written CMS on top of it.

If I escaped my daily work for a few days I'm sure I could come up with
something useful - I'm sure this is valid for many others in this community too.

> This discussion has been gaining so much momentum it's clear that we
> should just start to fucking implement the doko before all this energy
> disperses because of some political standoff or people waiting for each
> other to make the first move.
>
> BTW. Where *is* Linotype? I found this
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110705988801725&w=2 but
>  looking at http://simile.mit.edu/ I can't seem to find it. Linotype in
> the 2.1 branch seems to be somewhat broken.

Stefano moved it out of 2.2 and will release (or has already) Linotype 2.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc