cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 21:31:32 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>On Mar, 24 de Mayo de 2005, 15:35, Sylvain Wallez dijo:
>>Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
>>>The second important thing I notice in your remark is the argument
>>>that people here know Cocoon but not PHP. But it's exactly our point :
>>>we don't think Cocoon documentation should remain between Cocoon
>>>developers and that's also why we chose a PHP based CMS : because
>>>people are used to it, to its structures, to its customs. Right now
>>>it's much more natural than any Cocoon-based solution. We consider
>>>that documentation should not be written by developers and read by
>>>users... everybody should be able to participate in the same effort
>>>according to its own skills.
>>>Last but not least, our objective is precisely to make documentation
>>>writing completely independent from the unerlying technologies, so
>>>nobody should need to know neither Cocoon nor PHP to write
>>>documentation (yes a little bit of Cocoon should be useful if one
>>>wants his content to be useful but... you got my point)
>>I'm sorry, but this is plain bullshit blabla to ease the pain of not
>>using our own dog food.
>>Cocoon is used by some huge content management systems all over the
>>world. And it wouldn't be suitable to manage its own docs? People will
>>laugh at us and go away.
>Sorry to get my spoon in this thread. Sylvain POV is valid. To make the
>things clear, the problem related to cocoon docs was and IS content
>related. No one technology is not going to automatically write the Cocoon
>documentation for us now. We need people that write it.
>We have great CMS cocoon based as Apache Lenya or Daisy. Also there is
>Apache Forrest. All of them can manage this task. But again the problem is
>not about the technology.

Yes it *is* about the technology. Why don't we have cool docs? Because
writing them in XML is a major PITA. That's why I dislike writing docs
so much.

Give me an htmlarea in a webapp and I'll be happy to dump my brain. And
we have this today with Cocoon. Why are there people out there using
Daisy and Lenya in their daily job, why do they pay people to customize
and setup such tools, and why do such tools exist at all if they are so