cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 20:42:31 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
>
>> The second important thing I notice in your remark is the argument
>> that people here know Cocoon but not PHP. But it's exactly our point :
>> we don't think Cocoon documentation should remain between Cocoon
>> developers and that's also why we chose a PHP based CMS : because
>> people are used to it, to its structures, to its customs. Right now
>> it's much more natural than any Cocoon-based solution. We consider
>> that documentation should not be written by developers and read by
>> users... everybody should be able to participate in the same effort
>> according to its own skills.
>>
>> Last but not least, our objective is precisely to make documentation
>> writing completely independent from the unerlying technologies, so
>> nobody should need to know neither Cocoon nor PHP to write
>> documentation (yes a little bit of Cocoon should be useful if one
>> wants his content to be useful but... you got my point)
>>

> I'm sorry, but this is plain bullshit blabla to ease the pain of not
> using our own dog food.
>
> Cocoon is used by some huge content management systems all over the
> world. And it wouldn't be suitable to manage its own docs? People will
> laugh at us and go away.
>
> Sorry, I currently lack time to read this thread in full details, as I'm
> currently giving a Cocoon training to people writing a huge
> document/content management system... with Cocoon.

Yes, but is it the job of someone who is interested in writing docs to
actually write a CMS at the same time? This seems like a bit much to ask.

If someone else can offer an existing CMS that has the features they
need, and can be installed and operational within a reasonable amount of
time, then we'd be asking different questions.

Regards, Upayavira