cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Block builder and deployer
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 18:36:09 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>Unico Hommes wrote:
>>
>>Nice to see you back Unico!
>

> Thanks Reinhard! Lurker mode is off now, but still have some catching up
> to do. One of the things I'd been meaning to find out is what is the
> status of your blocks builder

the block-builder works as described on the wiki page. It uses the block.xml to
generate an Ant script out of it which builds the block resolving all
dependencies. Currently it requires more knowledge about how blocks will
actually look like. AFAIU only little work is left but this requires more work
on the implementation of real blocks (Daniel's current work on the
Block(s)Manager, the OSGi integration)

> and blocks deployer

Ihe interfaces are pretty stable and the unit tests are already able to deploy a
block. My last commits dealt with updating the wiring.xml but this hasn't been
finished. I guess that it will take about 5 working days to finish the missing
parts and some additional time to adapt it according to the requirements that
will arise with the actual block implementation.

As we currently have the ongoing discussion about OSGi, I agree with Daniel and
Sylvain that we will have to provide our own deployment tools as our needs are
too special. But maybe I 'm (we're) wrong here.

Of course any help is very appreciated!

  efforts. Especially,
> is blocks builder the intented build system for 2.2?

hmmm, IMO yes ;-) Some others want to use Maven. As said in some former
discussions, it will not matter which build system will build a COB as long as
it follows the (to be done) COB specification (block.xml, directory structure).
I generated Ant scripts out of block descriptors (block.xml) as I know much more
about Ant than about Maven. Finally, I think we will be able to provide support
for both build systems which isn't a disadvantage IMO.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc