cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 15:59:04 GMT
Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> 2005/5/24, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:

>>It is called integration.

> OK I'm sorry Ross. I'm really sorry. You're right I completely missed
> your point and I apologize for that.

No harm done, quite the opposite in fact, your post made me consider
what aspects of PlanetCocoon I agree with and what aspects I do not
agree with. It also made me question whether my boundaries are in the
right places.

Having considered your points about "self-reliance" I would like to make
it clear that I feel it is a mistake to build a Cocoon documentation
solution that is based on anything other than Cocoon. This has nothing
to do with "self-reliance" in the way you describe it, it is a rel;iance
on the Cocoon community, because, at the end of the day, that is all
Cocoon has. It is to do with drawing on the strengths of that community.
Everyone  here knows Cocoon, most do not know Drupal or PHP.

However, PlanetCocoon clearly has some effort going into it, and some of
your ideas are excellent. It would be a real shame if your enthusiasm
was dampened by what you perceive as "self-reliance".

It is my hope that once you have shown how valuable some of your ideas
are then attention within the Cocoon community will turn towards
embracing the some of the solutions you are designing and implementing
them within a Cocoon based application. In other words I see your
current Drupal implementation as a precursor to a killer Cocoon based
application.

In the meantime I will try to help build the necessary plugins to
Forrest to enable your work to be brought into the official Cocoon docs
with minimal effort (and vice-versa if the Cocoon community wish that to
be so).

Ross