cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 12:09:48 GMT
Mark Leicester wrote:
> Hello Bertrand,
>
> On 24 May 2005, at 12:20, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 24 mai 05, à 11:36, Ross Gardler a écrit :
>>
>>> ...For example:
>>>
>>> http://www.planetcocoon.com/node/1209
>>>
>>> is
>>>
>>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/tutorial/tutorial-generator.html
>>

>> Which I find very disappointing: I fail to see the point of copying
>> content from our docs on other websites.

> To kick this debate off, let's firstly define the problem. Are we
> concerned with the problems that arise from forking documentation? Or,
> are we trying to restrict the numbers of sources of information?

I think would speak for everyone when I say the concern is in forking
the documentation effort.

> A technical solution might be to offer RSS feeds from the Apache site.
> Cocoon distributions and satellite sites like Planet Cocoon could then
> "phone home" for the latest documentation.

Which is exactly why I have invited you over to the Forrest dev list so
that we can help you build a plugin that will enable you to achieve your
goals *without* forking the documentation. Forrest is currently the
chosen documentation platform here. One of its great strengths is the
ability to bring together documentation from various sources.

I'm not at all sure if the Cocoon project will want to go this way, but
I propose we create a solution, demonstrate it and then ask for comments
and suggestions here.

Ross