cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Micro kernel use cases?
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 12:02:53 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 22 mai 05, à 20:24, Daniel Fagerstrom a écrit :
>>
>>> ...It would require quite a lot of work to give a fair overview of
>>> what we have discussed about this in the last three or so years. You
>>> find some info in http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Blocks...
>>
>> Would it be possible to come up with a (small) set of
>> "blocks-oriented" use cases to re-sync our collective vision of what
>> a micro-kernel Cocoon would bring?
>>
>> I'm thinking of use cases like "start the Cocoon kernel", "load a
>> block at startup", locate and download a block after startup", "debug
>> my block during development", "use a block service from my own code",
>> etc.

I have focused on low level mechanisms, like classloader issolation this
far and havn't done any formal use case analysis. It would certainly be
usefull to do and it would also be rather independent of if we use OSGi
or something else. Your proposed usecases seem reasonable. If you start
a wiki page, I and others can contribute when having thought more about
it ;)

> 1. Start Cocoon kernel.
> 2. Load Portal Application which causes:
>    2a. Load Portal block dependencies.
>    2b. Load Portal block.
> 3. Configure portal application which causes:
>    3a. Load Internal Portlet block dependencies.
>    3b. Load Internal Portlet blocks.
>    3c. Configure Internal portlets.
>   If this can be made to work along with reloading portlets I would be
> ecstatic  Hmm. This also makes me wonder if the PortalManagers
> couldn't be modified to take advantage of this now without modifiying
> the Cocoon core, at least with respect to portlets.

Whithout knowing the details it seem pretty close to what I have in mind.

/Daniel