cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 14:09:16 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

[...mostly off topic...]

>> You forgot that since GBeans used in Geronimo, basing Cocoon on GBeans
>> means easier integration with/into Geronimo, which is significant
>> advantage.
>
> Well, is it really?

So which point do you want to argue, that it won't be easier integration, or
isn't an advantage?

>> The fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi, does it mean Cocoon will be
>> doggish slow if it is also based on OSGi, as Eclipse already is? It
>> might be FUD as I've not seen OSGi, but I've seen Eclipse.
>
> Actually, OSGi is a key point in the performance improvements in the
> upcoming Eclipse 3.1. It was introduced in 3.0 but many plugins were
> still written on the previous kernel API, and the more plugins move to
> the OSGi API, the more startup time increases

I could care less of startup time: I'm one of those who starts up IDE once in a
month (after patching M$ windows ;-)).

> and memory used decreases,
> by allowing on-demand loading of plugins.

"On-demand loading" means more sluggish UI, right? Once you click on something,
you have to wait till it loads :-)

Vadim