cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 11:56:33 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Ok, so far so good - now, what do I have to do if I'm developing my own
>> application and want to use let's say the cron block: I want to add my
>> own scheduled task? Currently I have to know a little bit about Avalon:
>> using the service manager to lookup the component. Or to put it in other
>> words, I have to know what the service locator concept is. And that's
>> all. How does this look like with OSGi?
>> And in this context, if I'm developing an own application, does this
>> have to be an OSGi bundle as well?
>>

> Read the subsections "The main sitemap" and "The Cocoon service" in the
> first post in this thread
> http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111659636932761&w=2.
> The application need to be a bundle, but that only means that there need
> to be a manifest file in it. Also the dependency information that we now
> handle in a rather implicit compile time way in blocks.properties, will
> need to be declared within the "sitemap bundle". Everything else will be
> as before, you use the service manager for lookup as always.

I had a look at OSGi manifest files and I think we can generate out of our block
descriptors (block.xml) with the result that somebody who is writing a Cocoon
block doesn't even has to know that Cocoon is based on OSGi.

BTW, for all German speakers who have access to German magazins: Currently OSGi
seems to be a hot topic: In the current issues of "Eclipse Magazin" (05/03) and
"Java Spektrum" (05/02) there are articles about OSGi. The Eclipse Magazin
describes OSGi in Eclipse (of course) and the Java Spektrum article shows how to
use Oscar.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc