cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 06:47:41 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Ralph Goers wrote:
>

>>Why is updating more difficult. We have MBeans that do both. Creating an
>>operation that updates isn't that hard.  The hard part is figuring out
>>what you want to manage.
>>

>And what happens after you updated a value. Changing pool sizes or
>something like that is easy. But what about changing some "core
>settings" like the working directory (this is just an example, I don't
>say/know if that makes sense)? Several components use the working
>directory, so either you have to reinstantiate them or notify them or
>something like that. But neither option is really nice.
>
>Carsten

Sorry. I got the wrong impression from your earlier message. I thought
you were implying that writing the MBeans to change things was somehow
harder.  Yes, some operations will be harder to perform than others. And
in some cases an operation might be deemed too difficult to do, at least
at first.  However, I wouldn't go looking for operations to perform just
because you can. I would start by identifying the operations you would
find valuable and then prioritize them by need and difficulty to
implement.  Would your hypotheical of changing the working directory
even make that list?

Ralph