cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Releasing 2.2
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 06:06:23 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 23 mai 05, à 07:13, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
>
>> ...Let's release "Cocoon 2.2 alpha1" as soon as possible. When the
>> contracts are stable we use the "beta" postfix. This will increase
>> the number of people who use and test the release and finally we can
>> release "Cocoon 2.2.0 final"...
>

> Releasing 2.2 soon would allow us to stop keeping the 2.1 branch in
> sync, which is a pain IMHO.

Well, it will let us eventually do this, but I don't believe we will be
ready to drop support of 2.1 anytime soon.  As a matter of fact, Leszek
provided a fix last week for what seems to me to be a pretty serious bug
in flow and this alone should warrant a 2.1.8 release.

> But are there enough visible incentives in 2.2 for people to make the
> switch? Do we have cool, exciting samples of the new features?
>
> I'm not sure, and if we haven't, people might just keep on using 2.1,
> and the risk is having too much pressure to maintain 2.1 instead of
> being able to move on.

I doubt many will switch until 2.2 is stable - i.e we've had a few
releases of it.  I would recommend that we continue doing maintenance on
2.1 until at least a stable 2.2.0 is released and possibly a release or
two later.  That doesn't mean that new features need to be backported to
2.1 though.

Ralph