cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 05:13:07 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> AFAIU only some work on cForms is missing (flowscript API and repeater
>> binding)
>

> That's far from the only work to do IMO, as there are a lot of
> semi-finished core features. Some that come to mind: refactored object
> model, sitemap listeners, VPCs, third-party containers, etc. Not that
> these features don't work, but they lack (at least that's my impression)
> some more use cases and demos to be strong enough for a stable release.
>
> Sure, we can make an alpha release to give people a sign that we are
> doing some progress, but this should be for us the sign that no more
> features should be added in that branch.

I see this differently. We will always have some unfinished features. If  the
refactored object model, sitemap listeners, VPCs, third-party containers, etc.
are "finished" then some new unfinished work will have started (e.g.
administration tools by Carsten). I think it's not a good idea to wait with all
new features until feature X, Y and Z are ready for prime time. This leads us
directly into the next dead lock, e.g. Carsten is waiting that Daniel is doing
something who is waiting that Sylvain finishes feture X and so on.

Let's release "Cocoon 2.2 alpha1" as soon as possible. When the contracts are
stable we use the "beta" postfix. This will increase the number of people who
use and test the release and finally we can release "Cocoon 2.2.0 final".

In short, let's release "Cocoon 2.2 alpha1" as soon as possible, add a warning
file that the refactored object model, sitemap listeners, VPCs, third-party
containers, etc. are still under development and that's it.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc