cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 21:05:57 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>> Users never really understood Avalon; but interestingly everyone
>> understands Spring - which is the same concepts of Avalon but done
>> differently (I know, I simplify here a little bit, please, all Spring
>> lovers forgive me for now!).
>> Adding a "complex" block system on top of Cocoon doesn't make things
>> easier.
> IMO it will. AFAIU the plugin concept in Eclipse is considered
> straight forward for most people. The blocks will be very similar to
> plugins.

And there are several dozen books about this subject :-)

We should also consider if blocks should be _similar_ to Eclipse
plugins, of if they should _be_ such plugins, which would remove us a
log of work, both for code, docs and support.

>> If we now start with trunk, we will never get 2.2 out *without* this
>> blocks concept working and that would delay everything imho.
> I propose to add some build tasks that add fields to the manifest
> files.  And to add some OSGi wrapper code outside the current Cocoon.
> There will, in the first steps, be no dependencies from the current
> Cocoon on OSGi.
> IMO this is unrelated to and will not affect any 2.2 release schedules.

Agree. This can at start be a special build script that packages
existing sources differently, with of course some OSGi glue.