cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 13:05:05 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>> So GBeans seem like the only serious alternative. I don't know enough
>> about GBeans to be able to evaluate it. But its much earlier in its
>> development, it is not a standard and there is only one
>> implementation, so it should IMO have a considerable technical
>> advantage to OSGi to be used instead.
>

> You forgot that since GBeans used in Geronimo, basing Cocoon on GBeans
> means easier integration with/into Geronimo, which is significant
> advantage.

Well, is it really?

>> Also I would assume that the fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi will
>> mean that it would be much easier to write various Cocoon tools if we
>> base Cocoon on OSGi.
>

> The fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi, does it mean Cocoon will be
> doggish slow if it is also based on OSGi, as Eclipse already is? It
> might be FUD as I've not seen OSGi, but I've seen Eclipse.

Actually, OSGi is a key point in the performance improvements in the
upcoming Eclipse 3.1. It was introduced in 3.0 but many plugins were
still written on the previous kernel API, and the more plugins move to
the OSGi API, the more startup time increases and memory used decreases,
by allowing on-demand loading of plugins.

See also:
-
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.1M7-200505131415/eclipse-news-all-M7.html

(second item)
- http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/performance/index.html (the
"performance bloopers" page is a very interesting read)

Sylvain