cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 09:25:26 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Sylvain proposed [1] to base blocks on the OSGi service platform
> [2][3]. After having studied it in more detail I'm completely
> convinced that it is the way to go.

Yeah! Kewl :-)

> OSGi
> ====
>
> The OSGi service platform is a "standarized, component oriented,
> computing environment for networked services". It handled bundles,
> which from a deplyment perspective can be any jar with some extra meta
> info in the manifest. Each bundle declare its dependencies on other
> bundles and what packages it exposes. The framework takes care about
> classloader isolation and there are also support for hot deployment,
> (which require more work in writing the bundles).
>
> There is lifecycle support for dynamical: installation, start, stop,
> update and uninstallation of bundles. There is a service layer with
> registration and lookup of services. A number of APIs for standard
> services has also be defined [1] e.g. log, configuration, user admin
> and http services.
>
> OSGi specification is currently at its 3rd release. It is used as
> kernel for Eclipse (since 3.0), each plugin is a bundle. It is used
> for embeded applications e.g. BMWs 5 series, mobile phones etc.

FYI, BMWs 7 series have 20 Mb of embedded Java. Yes, megabytes!

> There are 12 compliant implementations and at least 3 with "friendly"
> licenses: the Eclipse kernel [4] (release 3+), Knoplerfish [5]
> (release 3), Oscar [6] (release 3-). There is also a bundle repository
> [7].

And another bundle repository here:
http://www.knopflerfish.org/repo/index.html

> The Eclipse OSGi contain some extra functionallity that probably will
> be part of OSGi release 4. Knoplerfish is more lightweight and has a
> minimal framework distribution at only 200kB.
>
> Alternatives
> ============
>
> So what would be the alternatives to using OSGi? We have Pier's
> kernel, Metro [8] and Geronimos GBeans [9]. For Pier's kernel is
> solves AFACS a subset of what OSGi does and IMO we shouldn't base
> something as important as the Cocoon kernel on a one man show if we
> can avoid it. Using Metro will just not happen due to community reasons.
>
> So GBeans seem like the only serious alternative. I don't know enough
> about GBeans to be able to evaluate it. But its much earlier in its
> development, it is not a standard and there is only one
> implementation, so it should IMO have a considerable technical
> advantage to OSGi to be used instead. Also I would assume that the
> fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi will mean that it would be much
> easier to write various Cocoon tools if we base Cocoon on OSGi. We
> allready have people in the community (Sylvain, maybe other Eclipse
> developers?) with previous experience in using it.

Every Eclipse plugin developer more or less needs to understand how this
system works. So this makes a fair number of people :-)

> [...]
> major rewrites.
>
> The rest will by nececity be more technical.
>
> Cocoon bundles
> --------------
>
> The first step is to make Cocoon OSGi compliant by packaging the core
> and the blocks as (passive library) bundles. It just means that we add
> some meta info to the manifest files of the jars for core and blocks.
> Most of the info is allready available in the gump.xml and can be
> automatically added to the mainfests by the build system. For each
> block and core we need to decide what it exposes, which initially
> could be everything, and its dependecy on other block and libraries.
> It would also be and advantage to package all the jars that are used
> by more than one block as a bundle.
>
> This step doesn't affect Cocoon as we know it at all. We just make it
> possible to load core and blocks into the OSGi environment (or
> Eclipse). OTH nothing will happen when we use OSGi this far.
>
> The main sitemap
> ----------------
>
> It should be as simple as possible for a user to add a webapp, so I
> think that a basic webapp bundle should be as simple as a directory
> with a sitemap in it and a WEB-INF with the basic configuration files.
> In the bundle scenario we don't need to put the core and block jars in
> WEB-INF as these are managed within the OSGi framework. What is needed
> is some meta info that says that the bundle contains the main sitemap,
> so that the (soon to be described) Cocoon service can search for the
> bundle and a list of what blocks (bundles) it depends on so that the
> Cocoon service can dynamically load all its dependencies.
>
> The Cocoon service
> ------------------
>
> The Cocoon service is the first bundle that is active, in the sense
> that it implements BundleActivator and is started by the frameworks
> lifecycle management. The Cocoon service publish an implemention of
> o.a.c.Processor as a service. It does this by looking up the main
> sitemap bundle above, dynamically installing all the blocks that the
> main sitemap bundles declare that it depends on and create an
> o.a.c.Cocoon based on this bundle and that uses the classloader that
> contains all the blocks it depends on.
>
> When we have finished the sitemap aspect of blocks, the Cocoon service
> can alternatively look up a block manager service that contains the
> wiring info and manage all the blocks.
>
> The Cocoon servlet bundle
> -------------------------
>
> At last we need to have a Cocoon servlet bundle it looks up the Cocoon
> service and a HTTP service [10] (both Tomcat and Jetty implementations
> are available), embeds the Cocoon service in the Cocoon servlet and
> register it in the HTTP service. That is all.
>
> For some uses it would probably be good to be able to package
> everything including the OSGi framework as a WAR that can be deplyoyed
> into a Servlet container. I haven't thought about how to acomplish that.

Requiring the availability of an HTTP service would be too restrictive,
because most J2EE servers don't expose such a service. So we must still
have a CocoonServlet that will start the micro-kernel. Of course this
doesn't preclude having a servlet bundle using the HTTP service.

> Conclusion
> ==========
>
> Following the above architecture, or some better ;) we can start
> experimenting with classloader isolation, deplyment from remote
> repositories and so on without introducing any back incompabilities or
> having to do any major rewritings.
>
> It should also make those who want to be able to have both sitemap
> services and components in the same block (bundle) happy as well as
> those who want them architecturally independent.
>
> The work on using OSGi can start as soon as we agree about that it is
> a good idea and somebody feel like doing it.
>
> Whats next?
> ===========
>
> When (and if) we have a basic micro kernel based Cocoon as described
> above, we can continue by breaking up the Cocoon core in smaller and
> more specialized bundles. We can break out flow, sitemap components,
> environments etc to own bundles, so that we get a core that is "lean
> and mean".
>
> Common policies for package naming and bundle naming would also be a
> good idea. Also both core and blocks could be made more restictive
> about what they expose.
>
> We could also, if it we gain anything from it, migrate to use the
> various services that are available in the framework.
>
> But a main point is that we don't need to know that now. Even the
> basic scenario gives as a lot of advantages in that we get automatic
> dependency resolution an classloader isolation. We can decide how to
> move on from what we learn.

> IMO, OSGi seem to be the best choice for kernel for Cocoon's block
> architecture and there is (if I haven't missed something important) a
> low risk, incremental and evolutionary way to get there.
>
> WDYT?

+1000!

Sylvain