cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 15:31:43 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> OSGi specification is currently at its 3rd release. It is used as
> kernel for Eclipse (since 3.0), each plugin is a bundle. It is used
> for embeded applications e.g. BMWs 5 series, mobile phones etc.
>
> There are 12 compliant implementations and at least 3 with "friendly"
> licenses: the Eclipse kernel [4] (release 3+), Knoplerfish [5]
> (release 3), Oscar [6] (release 3-). There is also a bundle repository
> [7]. The Eclipse OSGi contain some extra functionallity that probably
> will be part of OSGi release 4. Knoplerfish is more lightweight and
> has a minimal framework distribution at only 200kB.

After looking at the website I have to wonder why I've never run across
this before.  I could have used this a year and a half ago.

My 2 cents.

While the overview that the website provides looks great I can't really
comment on the details until I get a chance to review the spec or API
docs.  However, should we go this route I have to make clear what I
consider the number one essential requirement:  the implementation must
come from a stable community.  In that regard I certainly wouldn't
hesitate to leverage something that is part of Eclipse.  If another
implementation is preferable for technical reasons it would have to be
shown that a) it has a sufficient user and developer community to
survive, or b) it can somehow be moved to Apache and be maintained by us
(not necessarily preferrable or a solution - Avalon was at Apache).

Ralph