cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 15:28:25 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> You forgot that since GBeans used in Geronimo, basing Cocoon on GBeans
>> means easier integration with/into Geronimo, which is significant
>> advantage.
>

> Might be, I don't have enough knowledge (or interest for, at least yet
> ;) ) about Geronimo to be able to evaluate it. An evaluation of what
> Geronimo would give us would certainly be interesting. Care to flesh out
> in what way an integration with Geronimo would be an significant advantage?

It means it is easier to sneak in Cocoon into places where Geronimo is employed :-)

>>> Also I would assume that the fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi will
>>> mean that it would be much easier to write various Cocoon tools if we
>>> base Cocoon on OSGi.
>>

>> The fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi, does it mean Cocoon will be
>> doggish slow if it is also based on OSGi, as Eclipse already is? It
>> might be FUD as I've not seen OSGi, but I've seen Eclipse.
>

> I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know. But considering that OSGi is
> used on mobile phones and within consumer electronics and have been
> around for 5 years I would be supprised if it was slow.

Ok, that's good news :-) So even if it is slow, it is at least small! :-P

> Here
> http://eul.shacknet.nu/www/index.html you can read (about) a blog that
> is hosted under OSGi on a WLAN access point :)

:-)

PS I liked your plan, though. Large disruptions are not what we need, and your
proposed approach does not have them, which is great.

Vadim