cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 15:11:59 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Sylvain proposed [1] to base blocks on the OSGi service platform
>> [2][3]. After having studied it in more detail I'm completely
>> convinced that it is the way to go.
>>
>> Alternatives
>> ============
>>
>> So GBeans seem like the only serious alternative. I don't know enough
>> about GBeans to be able to evaluate it. But its much earlier in its
>> development, it is not a standard and there is only one
>> implementation, so it should IMO have a considerable technical
>> advantage to OSGi to be used instead.
>
> You forgot that since GBeans used in Geronimo, basing Cocoon on GBeans
> means easier integration with/into Geronimo, which is significant
> advantage.

Might be, I don't have enough knowledge (or interest for, at least yet
;) ) about Geronimo to be able to evaluate it. An evaluation of what
Geronimo would give us would certainly be interesting. Care to flesh out
in what way an integration with Geronimo would be an significant advantage?

>> Also I would assume that the fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi will
>> mean that it would be much easier to write various Cocoon tools if we
>> base Cocoon on OSGi.
>
> The fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi, does it mean Cocoon will be
> doggish slow if it is also based on OSGi, as Eclipse already is? It
> might be FUD as I've not seen OSGi, but I've seen Eclipse.

I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know. But considering that OSGi is
used on mobile phones and within consumer electronics and have been
around for 5 years I would be supprised if it was slow. Here
http://eul.shacknet.nu/www/index.html you can read (about) a blog that
is hosted under OSGi on a WLAN access point :)

/Daniel