cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 14:36:27 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> An interesting read. Where does the servlet container sit within this
> picture?

Simplest way is to use an implementation of the HTTP service [1], there
is a Jetty version http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/repo/http/, a
version with (AFAICS) an own servlet conatiner
http://www.knopflerfish.org/releases/1.3.3/jars/index.html for the
Tomcat plugin in Eclipse I don't know if it implements OSGis HTTP
service or not. Don't know how you use it from a stand alone service
container.

> Do you need to have an OSGi servlet?

Its the simplest way.

> Eclipse could by the sound of it load these bundles, but wouldn't be
> able to run them due to a lack of servlet container.

Don't know what servlet contract Eclipse use, but as it is a OSGi
container any implementation of the OSGi HTTP service should be possible
to use.

> Regards, Upayavira
>
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

<snip/>

>> The Cocoon servlet bundle
>> -------------------------
>>
>> At last we need to have a Cocoon servlet bundle it looks up the
>> Cocoon service and a HTTP service [10] (both Tomcat and Jetty
>> implementations are available), embeds the Cocoon service in the
>> Cocoon servlet and register it in the HTTP service. That is all.
>>
>> For some uses it would probably be good to be able to package
>> everything including the OSGi framework as a WAR that can be
>> deplyoyed into a Servlet container. I haven't thought about how to
>> acomplish that.

<snip/>

>> [10]
>> http://www.knopflerfish.org/releases/1.3.3/javadoc/org/osgi/service/http/package-summary.html

Hopefully some of our Eclipse experts can give a better answer.

/Daniel