cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Mailing list statistics
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 08:59:10 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
<snip/>

> This is something I already outlined in several blog entries ([1] and
> [2]): the community is about collective thinking and supporting ideas
> proposed by people. The one(s) that actually implement the idea are
> those that either have time or most need it, and the result is owned
> by the group.

Agree, it's the ideas and the collective thinking that counts.

We are certainly a number of people with strong egos at the list but
most of the time we manage to control our egos and focus on ideas.
Having some kind of individ based "popularity" measurements, wouldn't
affect that balance in any positive way IMO.

> So having a "wanted features" or RT classification system is
> interesting, even if it overlaps with a less usable similar feature
> provided by the ASF infrastructure (BTW, what about Jira?). But having
> a people gratification system is a very different thing that is really
> not good.

A better system for keeping track of ideas (RTs) would be really useful.
Maybe RTs could be classified into ideas by folksomy. And some kind of
reader evaluation of the mails in the threads would make it easier to
find the mails that give good explanation of the involved ideas. For
ideas that having been around for along time like "real blocks" it is
very hard to find out what we have discussed by searching the archives
and Googling is seldom specific enough.

/Daniel