cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailing list statistics
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 08:07:16 GMT
Mark Leicester wrote:

>> But I see Mark's aims with the hall of fame more as a measurement
>> tool for community participation than a way for people to show off.
>> And in that way it can be considered to be a valuable resource. The
>> problem however is that the raw number of posts says nothing about
>> their quality, starting by not being able to distinguish questions
>> and answers. The "rounds of applause" as I understand it is a way for
>> people to express their gratefulness to people that helped them.
>

> Yes Sylvain, this is what I am proposing: another (more measurable)
> way for people to express their gratefulness to people that have
> helped them. Is anyone else a user of 43things (see
> http://www.43things.com/)? The 43things "cheers" are a lovely example
> of this kind of thing, where people have a simple mechanism to
> encourage others. Read about cheers here:
> http://www.43things.com/about/view/cheers. The cheer carries no weight
> other than encouragement. The idea of 'targets', that is, collect 100
> "rounds of applause" and progress to a notional 'next level', are
> optional.

Mark, you misunderstood (and snipped) the essence of my reply:
distributing "bonus points" to people is a bad thing. And it's also not
what 43things provide.

43things (just tried it this morning) allows people to list or propose
things to do, and others to support them in doing these things. So this
isn't the people that are given applauses, but ideas that are given support.

And this is radically different from a community dynamics point of view,
as it doesn't provide a way for people to show off, but a way to
identify and prioritize good ideas that come out of the community. This
is actually similar to bugzilla entries of type "enhancement" on which
people can vote, with a way more shiny GUI that makes it a usable tool
(but bugzilla is far from good in this regard).

This is something I already outlined in several blog entries ([1] and
[2]): the community is about collective thinking and supporting ideas
proposed by people. The one(s) that actually implement the idea are
those that either have time or most need it, and the result is owned by
the group.

So having a "wanted features" or RT classification system is
interesting, even if it overlaps with a less usable similar feature
provided by the ASF infrastructure (BTW, what about Jira?). But having a
people gratification system is a very different thing that is really not
good.

Sylvain

[1] http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000172.html
[2] http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000109.html