cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailing list statistics
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 13:35:02 GMT
Linden H van der (MI) wrote:
>>I'm interested in hearing why you think that committership is
>>*the* incentive for people to contribute?
>

> Same here. I may not be a representative of the average user population,
> but I don't WANT committership until I'm fully convinced that I can
> submit something without breaking somebody else's stuff.
>
> I think the software is far more valuable when there is only a small
> group of well-qualified people that take great care in only adding
> software that either improves or enhances the current code base, rather
> than allowing anybody and everybody to add whatever they want to the
> code.
> I'm convinced the latter is the definitive way to the destruction of
> Cocoon.

I disagree. Cocoon has been very open in giving committership in the
past and will continue to be. But the fact is that committers know
better about community dynamics than newbies (as this thread shows
rather evidently) and they judge whether or not you are able for
committership.

Let me tell you, if by receiving your committership nomination you
weren't surprised, that means that committers made a mistake, either
because you are not the right person and or because they took too long
to see you.

Is the humble attitude that makes us strong as a community.

Creating altars for people to stand on is *NOT* a way to make it
stronger, rather the opposite.

--
Stefano.