cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Speed of jx-macros compared to FormsTransformer
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 07:27:10 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>>
>>> but you make the invoker look up element's name in macro map for
>>> EVERY template element started. Costly as hell. JX instructions are
>>> resolved the same way but during parsing. We cannot do the same for
>>> macros because we do not know the full macros list at parsing time.
>

> What stops you from two-pass compiling? On first pass process all macros
> / instructions / etc, on second pass link'em up. This assumes that
> "runtime imports" are evicted.
When dropping "runtime imports" constraints we have several
possibilities around.

> Is there a reason why imports should be resolved at runtime at all? Is
> there a need for two different import mechanisms? I'd suggest killing 'em.
Runtime imports was an easy way to implement caching and macro
registration in execution context. I have never used
<jx:import uri="${dynamicUri}"/> and I think noone ever did. +1 to kill it.

I am thinking about having an import that does not produce content -
it's a little bit strange to have 2-3 pages of whitespace in your
generated source.