cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Speed of jx-macros compared to FormsTransformer
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 17:26:55 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> Ah no, forgot to say: this requires to use JXTemplate and the
>> forms-template-as-jx-macros.
>
> Today I've run some load tests that compare Cocoon Forms using
> jx-macros and the FormsTransformer. The transformer is *considerably*
> faster (~ factor of 3!) than the macros and the higher the load the
> better for the transformer.
>
> Is there any special reason for this?

Macros has been reported to be slow before, IIRC. There is no reason
that they should be, maybe they not are cached as they should be? Leszek
has made the latest refactorings on the macros so he might have more
info. The template and the macros should be much faster the second time
they are execute, otherwise there is some problem with template caching.
Do you have any numbers on  that?

Besides that does a lot of function calls through Jexl, that requires
reflection an might be costly.

Generally a large part of the work is done at compile time, so it should
at least in principle be efficient.

But of course there can be bottle necks in different parts. We need
profiling info to know where to start optimizing. Do you have any
indication on where most of the time is spend?

> Any chance to speed up JX?

Sure, give us profiling data ;)

/Daniel