cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bloggers, may I request a "Cocoon" category?
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 08:55:40 GMT
Mark Leicester wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Yes, I do read the dev list discussions. My sentence quoted below, in
> all its bareness, could appear dismissive so I apologise as that was
> not my intention. The many useful discussions on the dev list (about
> the makeup and design of blocks for example) shouldn't be ignored.
>
> That said, I do feel that Cocoon-related blog entries have their place
> too. An example I often refer to is Sylvain's "Cocoon 2.2 will rock!"
> post (see
> http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000171.html). This
> is a very nice potted summary of what we can look forward too in the
> next version. In addition, if you type "Cocoon 2.2" into Google this
> is easily the first (only?) summary you will find.
>
> My opinion is that there is a lot of Cocoon related activity on the
> web - not just in the mailing lists. I'm looking at ways of
> aggregating it all together.
>
> On 16 May 2005, at 08:51, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Mark Leicester wrote:
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> The blogs tend to give a much more exciting, future-oriented view of
>>> Cocoon than the mailing lists, which I suppose are dealing with more
>>> mundane, day-to-day issues.
>>

>> Are you actually reading dev-list, about all core parts of Cocoon has
>> been proposed and designed on dev-list? If you search the archive and
>> look for "[RT]" then you can find tons of future-oriented views of
>> Cocoon. Blogs are great, but like it or not, we have developed a
>> rather efficient community culture that is based on mail-list
>> discussions.

I agree with both of you :-)

The dev list is the place where we work, and the developer community
lives there. However, it's very difficult for people oustide this list
to know what's going on there, as following the list is a hard job for
people that just want to stay informed of the evolution trends.

That's exactly why I wrote the blog entry referenced by Mark: Cocoon 2.2
has a lot of new features people may not be aware of, and summarizing
them when they've reached some level of maturity or completeness is key
to keep the momentum on Cocoon. The same applies to other blog entries
related to my ongoing work on Cocoon (e.g. Ajax). I announced it on the
dev list, but a blog entry reaches other audiences through my blog's
readers, but also the some other more general planets that aggregate it
(planetapache, planetjava, Erik Thauvin's linkblog, etc).

The Cocoon developer community is very strong, but this strengh is
mostly visible inside the group. What we need is to communicate more to
the outside world, and blogs are an easy way to achieve this.

Sylvain