cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest & Daisy integration scenarios
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 14:19:45 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> On 12 May 2005, at 17:21, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>> But it's also true that editing xml files in a svn repository sucks
>>> as an editing tool. Using wiki (or daisy or other solutions) is much
>>> better.
>>>
>>> I like the notion of
>>>
>>>  daisy -> forrest -> out
>>>
>>> makes very good sense.
>>

>> It does, yet there's obvious huge bits of overlap between Forrest and
>> Daisy's publishing mechanism. IMO, Daisy is perfectly able to host
>> Cocoon's documentation, both for editing and publishing.
>

> <snip/>
>
>> What do people think?
>

> IMO the problem is more political or sentimental than technical.
>
> Although Daisy seems to fulfill a need that has no satisfying answer
> today to write and manage content, we're quite happy with the
> Forrest-based publication process. So why would we want to trash what
> works and is using an Apache project in favor of another tool?

For me, Daisy provides a superb editing environment that lowers the
barrier to entry for doc writers significantly. It also has enough
workflow and version management in it to manage the doc authoring
process. Finally, it is Cocoon based and Apache Licensed so can be
enhanced by Cocoon devs if required. I believe the separation of
repository from editing environement is key to this flexibility (and
where daisy wins hands down over the current alternative Cocoon CMS, Lenya)

What Daisy (nor Lenya) does not do is integrate content from multiple
sources. This is important because the reality of Cocoon (and
incidentally all businesses/projects) is that they have docs all over
the place in many different formats (PDF, word, OOo, Xdoc, HTMl, mail,
wiki etc.) and repositories (mailarchives, svn, network file systems,
http servers etc.). If we want the lowest barrier to entry for doc
writers then we have to allow them to submit docs in any format and via
whatever means is most comfotable to them.

In other words, I am not talking about a tool for *writing* docs, I'm
taling about a tool for collating quality docs into an official
documentation colelction.

With respect to tools for *writing* docs I agree with Nicola, we need
doc writers not tools. That being siad, I would advocate Daisy as the
"official" tool of the Cocoon project (to replace the existing wiki).

I advocate Daisy because is Cocoon based, therefore it sends the right
message and is cuastomisable by Cocoon committers. However, it is worth
noting that Thorsten (a Forrest and Lenya committer) is hoping to build
a Lenya plugin for Forrest. So everything I say in these threads
regarding Forrest + Daisy, could also be said of Forrest + Lenya once he
has that plugin working.

Ross