cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest & Daisy integration scenarios
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 10:30:24 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 12 May 2005, at 17:21, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> But it's also true that editing xml files in a svn repository sucks
>> as an editing tool. Using wiki (or daisy or other solutions) is much
>> better.
>>
>> I like the notion of
>>
>>  daisy -> forrest -> out
>>
>> makes very good sense.
>

> It does, yet there's obvious huge bits of overlap between Forrest and
> Daisy's publishing mechanism. IMO, Daisy is perfectly able to host
> Cocoon's documentation, both for editing and publishing.

<snip/>

> What do people think?

IMO the problem is more political or sentimental than technical.

Although Daisy seems to fulfill a need that has no satisfying answer
today to write and manage content, we're quite happy with the
Forrest-based publication process. So why would we want to trash what
works and is using an Apache project in favor of another tool?

Note that I don't question the value of Daisy nor the good intentions of
you OT folks, but I want to point out the non-technical problems. We may
also question ourselves about using Lenya.

And Drupal and other PHP-based systems are IMO a dead end from a
community acceptance POV (unless they are recommended by the ASF
infrastructure): why would Cocoon use a PHP CMS when it is itself used
to build large CMSes around the world?

These community and dogfood issues are IMO the main reasons of the
current state of our doc system, much more than the technical ones.

Sylvain