cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Document publishing worklow (was Re: Expert pre-defined/community post-defined?)
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 01:16:35 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>

>>>I like the notion of
>>>
>>> daisy -> forrest -> out
>>>
>>>makes very good sense.
>>>
>>>Now we just need to find a way to automate a little that
>>
>>workflow, but
>>
>>>without introducing security vulnerabilities.
>>
>>How about this (bullet summaries followed by textual description.
>>
>>Daisy as editing environment.
>>	- anyone can edit
>>	- people are given quick "committership" here
>>	- change mails are sent out by Daisy for docs committer review
>>         - docs committers review changes and publish to the
>>daisy repo
>>
>>Forrest as publishing tool
>>         - cocoon committers manage a
>>	- brings together XDocs, wiki docs, Daisy docs etc.
>>	- publish to (or dynamically host on) a staging server
>>
>>Offical Docs site
>>	- live Apache site is pulled from staging server
>

> Regarding the structuring of the resulting documentation (as opposed to
> the content) ... can you comment on that aspect?

It would be a standard Forrest site (that's what is used at present to
manage the Apache site). What do you want me to comment on, eactly? DO
you have a specific question?

> Does Daisy have support for tagging (whether "folksonomy" or controlled
> vocabularies of some sort)?

Not directly, but I have a clients site using daisy that has basic
tagging set up. All that is required is to add a metadata field to the
document type definition for the tags. The query engine can then be used
to search for documents with a specific tag. I find this very effective.

> How might these tags integrate with the "core" concepts in xdocs, the
> Forrest sitemap, etc?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question either. Perhaps if you could
decribe a use case I can respond more constructively.

> I've been working recently on a website upgrade project which uses XML
> Topic Maps to deal with these issues - the site was relaunched just last
> week. Now I'm wondering if the Cocoon community might benefit from using
> XTM. It looks like a classic application for topic maps. I think they
> could help by providing a set of logical "hooks" to tag content with,
> and tools for harvesting metadata, merging topics, querying etc.

Topic Maps are something that come up every now and again on the Forrest
lists. The problem is there is noone there with a strong enough itch to
look into exactly what we should do. Perhaps, you could join us over
there with your expertise and we can come back here with a proposal for
future enhancements.

Right now, at least on the cocoon list, I am more concerned with getting
a system up and running as fast as possible. I have a need for something
like the above on one of my own projects and will be implementing
something, but I need it within the month, not after we've discussed,
designed and built a whole new system. Daisy + Forrest is a very good
start and they both work now.

For me the great things about using Daisy + Forrest over anything else
is that they are both Cocoon apps. We have no shortage of developers
here who can add functionality if we find it lacking in any way, but
first we need to get somethig up and running for those devs to work on.

Ross