cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Expert pre-defined/community post-defined? [WAS: Community health]
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 16:10:21 GMT
Sebastien Arbogast wrote:

>>Such management tools should allow people that have the responsibility
>>to validate and publish content on the website to quickly grasp the job
>>they have to do. For example, I may want to have a quick look at all
>>changed documents that have the "forms" "flowscript" or "sitemap" tags,
>>without having to scroll through all the tags. Or also notification
>>emails or RSS feeds to track changes to such tags.
>>
>>What I'm seeking for is tools that make writing docs really easy. If the
>>process to perform a task for which you don't have a high motivation is
>>too heavy, then you simply don't do that task. If the tools make this
>>easy and notify you (in whatever form) of what you have or should do,
>>then there's a higher chance that you will do it.
>>
>>Well, I guess I'm describing something named... is it CMS? ;-P
>>

>Waouh Sylvain this is just great. Mark I hope you're taking notes
>because he is quite prolific ;-P

Hehe. After lazy consensus, you discover that things often don't happen
not because people are against it, but because they're lazy. Give them
tools that lower the amount of energy they need to spend and the job has
a higher change of being done ;-)

I sometimes do presentations about how opensource works. And something
that really amazes people is all the tools and processes that OSS
communities have set up over time to ease their job, which the have a
lot to learn from. If we have CVS (or SVN), Ant build, mail archives,
unit tests and all that stuff, it's not because we are some strict and
rational IT professionnals, but because without these tools, the ratio
of time spent to really doing things is to low. Tools are necessary for
OSS communities to survive.

>I see at least 5 new ideas in this new thread, ideas we have to
>integrate in brainstorming forum. This is just great, this is exactly
>the kind of feedback we need.

Hehe, your rant has shaken some minds, and started this constructive
discussion. Sometimes a little rant is good to awaken people. But one
needs to find the correct amount of rant so that awaken people start a
constructive discussion and do not start to collectively shoot the
messenger ;-)

Cheers,
Sylvain