cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Community health
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 14:17:16 GMT
Sebastien Arbogast wrote:

>>Can it be shown that this downward trend is not a result of improving
>>documentation?
>>

>Or maybe it's because the documentation is still so "messy" (I'm sure
>it's going to change with the new effort but it's still the case) that
>more and more people try Cocoon, don't manage to figure it out and
>finally fall back to better documented alternative solutions. At least
>it's the way I personally feel it because I'm convinced that IF the
>objective is to make the community wider, documentation is the key.
>But it's just my personal opinion ;-)

Messy or poor documentation is a reason why some open-source software
around here at my new job (a large regional medical care network) gets
disqualified from use.  If it takes the devs around here too long to
figure out how to use it, out the door it goes.

One of my long-term goals here is to introduce everybody to Cocoon and
possibly even use it in at least one project successfully.  All of the
development right now is done with Struts and JSP/Taglibs.  Despite
this, there's still too much complexity and it's hard to figure out
where everything happens.  If I had Cocoon/CForms + Hibernate/Spring, I
could probably develop stuff pretty fast.  We already use Spring, and I
think we're on the cusp of actually adpoting Hibernate, but right now
I'm pretty skeptical about getting Cocoon in the door with the
documentation the way it is, so now I'm motivated to "do." :)

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: PHP's
documentation is superior. We need to follow their model.

 - Tony (Who's been *way* too busy with new job after graduating to work
on anything remotely fun anymore.