cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuation invalidation strategy
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 05:38:08 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>Looks like you're descibing current functionality :)
>

> ...well, then everything is ok! :-D
>
> But seriously: I tried to explain why you cannot
> remove the parent continuation :-)

some experiments showed me that it is possible to remove parent continuations in
flowscript. But profiling revealed that the benefit is negligible because
continuaitons are very small objects. As said, the referenced objects are the
problem as every new continuation tree references new objects  in the case an
object is stored in a local variable.

I don't have a solution for this as I can't find a general rule when a tree can
be invalidated, except after some time-out.

> One optimization we could add is a maximum
> continuations per session count. Like a sliding
> window. So we don't rely on a fix expiration
> time but additionally expire the oldest ones if
> we run over a certain amount of continuations
> per user.
>
> That would make the memory consumption a bit more
> manageable.

hmmm, I'm not sure if this really helps as only if the *whole* continautions
tree (= when the last continuation is invalidated) referenced objects can be
removed by the garbage collector.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc