cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Community health
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 21:33:34 GMT
Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
>>apache is a do-ocracy: the more you do, the more power you gain.
>
> Stefano, as I told before I really appreciate your work and everything
> you do for Cocoon and its community and this kind of sentence is
> really getting annoying, first because for more and more people apache
> is more a code-ocracy than a real do-ocracy, and then because doing
> without structure, organization and decision is completely pointless.
> And if a few influential people don't dare to make some strategic
> choices and define directions for the project as important as this
> one, our calls (I'm not even a committer since I haven't "done" yet)
> will just remain without effect.

May be annoying, but it is also true.

Another aphorism is "(s)he who does, decides". So, if you want to have
decent structure, organisation, etc, and want some strategic choices
made, then try making them. Suggest things. Then act on your
suggestions. Maybe silence is actually a silent agreement rather than
you being ignored. If it is silent agreement, you'll be able to get on
and get it done. If it is you being ignored, the more you do, people
will feel forced to come out and comment if they think something is wrong.

And, the more stuff you do, the more decent patches you offer, to code,
to docs, whatever, the sooner you'll get that commit access.

For starters, if you provide me patches to the existing docs (preferably
our new 2.2 docs, but actually any), I'll commit them for you.

I for one haven't forgotten my work on docs, and even if it does go
slowly, it will happen.

So just get on and do it, whatever you think 'it' needs to be, and then
people will either join in or object, or let you get on with it in freedom.

Regards, Upayavira