cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Community health
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 13:19:41 GMT
Mark Leicester wrote:

> On 11 May 2005, at 13:10, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Mark Leicester wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> I've been looking at various statistical representations of
>>> community  activity:
>>> GMANE:
>>> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel
>>> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user
>>> Vadim:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/projects/cocoon.html
>>> Ken Coar:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists.html#cocoon.apache.org
>>> At a glance it seems the developers' list maintains a fairly steady
>>> flow of traffic. More worrying for me is the downward trend in the
>>> users' list. This is particularly noticeable in gmane's representation:
>>> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user
>>> At the risk of sounding like Chicken Licken
>>> (http://www.ongoing-tales.com/SERIALS/oldtime/FAIRYTALES/
>>> chicklicken.html) I think that we ought to investigate this further
>>> and  perhaps come up with some new strategies to arrest this fall.
>>> This may  include interviewing the user list, asking our subscribers
>>> what they  want, what they don't like, their level of expertise, etc.
>>

>> Can it be shown that this downward trend is not a result of improving
>> documentation?
>

> That's certainly a possibility. If it's true then I suppose we can
> expect to see a corresponding increase in Wiki activity. I'll take a
> look at the docs list... Hmmm, the docs list (where Wiki changes are
> posted) has also dropped:
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.documentation
>
> Perhaps the only way we can test this is by asking these sorts of
> questions in a questionnaire. Would people like me to prepare a draft
> questionnaire for discussion?

Yes, that's an interesting idea, and would allow users to become more
than just consumers, which is important for the health of the group.

It would be interesting for the questionnaire to include topics about
technical, documentation and also community aspects.

Sylvain