cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Externalizing JXTG tag configuration
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 10:13:20 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> right now we have:
>>
>> registerInstruction("template", StartTemplate.class.getName());
>> registerInstruction("forEach", StartForEach.class.getName());
>> registerInstruction("if", StartIf.class.getName());
>> registerInstruction("choose", StartChoose.class.getName());
>> registerInstruction("when", StartWhen.class.getName());
>> registerInstruction("otherwise", StartOtherwise.class.getName());
>>
>> which puts all tag definitions into a proper map. I'd like to
>> externalize that. Few issues:
>>
>> It was mentioned on the list that it would be the best to store that
>> configuration in sitemap-language.xml.
>

> Uh? What does it have to do in sitemap-language.xml?
got no idea :) maybe I got the wrong impression.

> The question is whether we want users to be able to add new tags, or if
> this configuration is only to be used by sitemap-level components (e.g.
> JXTG) to define some fixed language.
I do not see a point of letting users create tags. Still we may want to
do it ourselves internally - we might rewrite jx-macros.xml into java
which is good IMO.

> A fixed language means either code as of today or a conf file hidden in
> the jar files.
I was faster than your response. I put it into cocoon.xconf for now -
had to store the configuration somewhere to make necessary refactorings.
   It's a matter of minutes to move it.

> An expandable language means people can add new tags, but IMO shouldn't
> change the base language tags. Not talking about the simple fact also
> that it would be frightening to have that in cocoon.xconf!!!
Why is that so frightening?

> So the
> configuration could be a base configuration in the jar file, augmented
> with user-defined tags.
What format should thin configuration in jar file have? Where do we put
user defined tags if you do not want it to be cocoon.xconf?