cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r169169 - in /cocoon/blocks/unsupported/template/trunk: java/org/apache/cocoon/template/jxtg/JXTemplateGenerator
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 14:44:35 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> The transient store is meant as a cache for objects that aren't
>> serializable, whereas the regular store has a memory front-end and
>> some persistent filesystem swap, and therefore can only accept
>> serializable objects.
>

> Not true. Regular store must accept all objects. See also [1].
>
> Vadim
>
> [1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/updating.html#Store

Hmm... although the old implementation *may* have been able to accept
non-serializable objects, it has AFAIK never formally be defined in the
general store contract, and this is why we also have the transient store
role.

Considering the current issues with the newer cache systems we use (that
integrate both memory front-end and persistent swap) and can't handle
non-serializable objects, I think it would be better to make it clear
that non-serializable objects have to go in the transient store.

Sylvain