cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuation invalidation strategy
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 14:21:35 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>>> The execution state of a continuation is dependent on it's parent state.
>>

>> This is true for differential continuation where the
>> lexical information is split across the child axis.
>> (Which is currently not the case for javaflow)
>>

>>> So although we may trash parent webcontinuations (i.e. the enveloppe
>>> used by the continuation manager), we must ensure that a strong link
>>> exists with the parent state.
>>

>> Right - in case only the modifications are kept in a continuation
>> the continuation tree must be kept complete all the time!
>>
>> Invalidation would then need to be a flag that needs to be checked
>> by interpreter or we remove the envelope object and keep only the
>> parent axis of the actual continuations.
>
> summing up: we have to keep whole continuation tree, right?

No, I don't think so but it doesn't help much if you delete some of the
continuations of a tree because a continuation object doesn't need much memory.

The problem is all objects that are references from within a continutions tree
because only when the last! continuation of a tree is invalidated, all
referenced objects can be removed by the garbage collector. This means that you
have to be very careful with local! variables.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc