cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing credits for contributors
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 14:34:43 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>over at lenya, we have done away with the status file (too much work),
>>and use SVN commit logs directly. the results, with some care taken for
>>the commit messages, is quite similar to status.xml:
>>
>>http://lenya.apache.org/changes.html
>>
>>of course, with some more xsl smarts, that could be further improved
>>
>>we also mention who a patch comes from in the commit logs, which means
>>they show up on the changes too.
>>

>awesome! ...that's what I would like to have in cocoon.
>I hate taken care of the status xml.
>
>Any opinions on adopting this?

IMO status.xml and the svn logs serve different purpose.

status.xml should contain some higher-level information that help users
to understand what has changed in Cocoon, and one feature change may be
the result of many commits. A giant list of commit logs makes the
important information difficult to find.

svn logs also have the problem that they're not modifiable. Bad for
typos, but worse for changes that have been reverted afterwards.

So although it requires less work from devs to maintain, I'm not a big
fan...

Sylvain