cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2.2] Problem with SpringComponentLocator and with ComponentManagers in general
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 07:15:43 GMT
Hi Rolf,

thanks for reporting this!

Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> I spent quite some time thinking about a good solution, but didn't found one.
I just committed a fix which is slightly different from your suggestion.
It's not the best solution, but it should work - can you please verify this?
I'm thinking of rewriting parts of the core in the near future. And I
hope to have a cleaner solution with the refactoring.

> I do not understand the  difference between the ServiceManager and RoleManager.
> What are the responsibilities of both?
> Woulnd't it make sense to collapse both concepts?
>
> AFAIC's the RoleManager also just looks up components as well as the RoleManager does.

Originally Avalon had a separation between defining the available roles
for your application and configuring the components. The basic idea was
that one person defines all roles in a file (see cocoon.roles) and that
the component configurations (cocoon.xconf) only "configures" these
roles. So adding a new role was not part of this idea. But as this was
not that practical, the feature to add new roles in the component
configuration had been added, rendering the roles configuration to
nearly unused (and unknown!). So the role manager manages the roles file
while the service manager uses the component configurations and the role
manager.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/