cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Removing author tags
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 15:07:26 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm not really sure how to vote on this.  I've pasted an email
>> from Larry Rosen to the Apache Legal list that seems to say that the
>> Cocoon source files should not have the Apache copyright in them, but
>> instead have the copyright of the committers who made the
>> contibution.  Obviously, this is in direct contrast to what we are
>> doing and frankly, I think its nuts.
>> While this doesn't have a lot to do with the @author tags, per se, it
>> does seem to indicate that the files should have a "record of
>> ownership".
>
> Oh my... do we have to add a copyright notice for every one-line patch
> send by people?
>
> I see a difference in Larry's post between original work that
> pre-existed outside the ASF and is later contributed to the ASF, and
> work that was developped directly for the ASF. So this non-ASF
> copyright could be applicable to donations, but not to our collective
> everyday work on the code base.

Well, that may be true, but not being a lawyer I really don't know.  As
I read it I understood Larry basically saying, "We provide the legal
guidance, but we can't make you do anything".   However, I guess I'd
like somebody to clarify this to the point that we really understand
what we should be doing.

Ralph