cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Removing author tags
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 12:53:21 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> So I propose to remove @author tags with people names from all our
>>> source files.
>>

>> +1
>>
> Well, I'm not really sure how to vote on this.  I've pasted an email
> from Larry Rosen to the Apache Legal list that seems to say that the
> Cocoon source files should not have the Apache copyright in them, but
> instead have the copyright of the committers who made the
> contibution.  Obviously, this is in direct contrast to what we are
> doing and frankly, I think its nuts.
> While this doesn't have a lot to do with the @author tags, per se, it
> does seem to indicate that the files should have a "record of ownership".

Oh my... do we have to add a copyright notice for every one-line patch
send by people?

I see a difference in Larry's post between original work that
pre-existed outside the ASF and is later contributed to the ASF, and
work that was developped directly for the ASF. So this non-ASF copyright
could be applicable to donations, but not to our collective everyday
work on the code base.

Sylvain