cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Leicester <mark.leices...@efurbishment.com>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 09:01:10 GMT
Hi Ross,

On 24 May 2005, at 00:48, Ross Gardler wrote:

> I can't find any copyright or license information on the planetcocoon
> site. Can you please point me at the relevant page.
>
> I'm concerned as much of the documentation content appears to be
> direct duplicates of materials in Cocoons official documentation or
> mailing lists but I cannot find the required acknowledgement to Apache
> Software Foundation. I know you are working closely with the Cocoon
> community so I am sure this is only an oversight (possibly on my
> part).

You are right that a lot of what is there does duplicate material from
other sources. It's not always a direct duplication; obviously we want
to do more than just duplicate the material. While some material is
indeed verbatim, there are also edits (which will become patches in due
course), and some major redistribution (the intention is to create a
single printable book).

It is an oversight - on my part - that there is not yet any attribution
to the Wiki, or to the main Cocoon documentation. I want to resolve the
licensing issues ASAP. With the ASF license, am I correct in thinking
that I need to simply attribute the documentation to Apache, noting
changes as necessary? What would be a suitable wording? "This document
is derived from, and contains portions of material originally from
[source]"

PlanetCocoon won't hold any copyright on original material. A
non-restrictive Creative Commons license would seem appropriate. What
do others think?

> In addition, can you tell me if Drupal is able to serve nodes as
> unprocessed content. That is, can I retrieve a version of a node that
> has only the content, no navigation or other such decoration.
>
> If it is possible to do this, what license will your own original
> matrials be released under?
>
> My reason for asking both questins is that I'd like to consider adding
> an input plugin to Forrest in order to assist in your stated objective
> of "Every effort will be made to ensure that information generated on
> Planet Cocoon will end up in the official documentation" (quote from
> your home page).

Yes, let's discuss import/export. I think it's important that we come
up with some means to exchange information. If we come up with a good
working solution then our diverse solutions to the documentation
problem may become a community strength, and not the weakness it might
initially appear. My thinking is that something based on RSS, with RDF
might be the way, but then Drupal does this already so I may be biased.

Regards,
Mark

PS Ross, I really enjoy your writings at
http://www.jroller.com/page/rgardler, is there any chance of a Cocoon
category from your blog?