cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Linden H van der (MI)" <H.vanderLin...@MI.unimaas.nl>
Subject RE: Internationalis/zation of documentation
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 07:36:08 GMT
> A more general question: what sort of demand do you think
> there is for
> translations of the documentation? Any particular languages?

Being Dutch, and therefore used to use other people's language rather
than my own to get in contact with someone, I'm probably not
representative for the entire community.

I however feel that there should be as little effort put into
translation of documentation as possible. Cocoon itself is in English,
the common language of the mailing lists is English (and therefore the
documentation) and 99% of the documentation of the 'external' (i.e.
non-Cocoon development) components are in English, 99.9% of any
documentation on IT projects is in English.

So, if you want to use Cocoon, you need to understand English. If you
do, what benefit is there in a translated version of a document?

I'm a Translator School graduate, so I know how much effort a good
translation takes and it only adds up to the total number of documents
to maintain. NOTE: there is no such thing as an automated translation of
good quality, so all effort is manual.

I'd rather have this effort put into writing good/better/missing English
docs.

Bye, Helma