cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Removing author tags
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 09:29:14 GMT
On Wednesday 04 May 2005 16:16, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> The copyright attribution to the ASF seems to be problematic as it seems
> that, at least in some countries, an author cannot give its copyright.

Exactly. All variants exist, and effectively creating a nightmare.
Furthermore, I assume it is even more difficult considering some people who
are residing/working/citizen of more than one country, and/or work for
companies in yet more countries.

What I am worried about is that employees of USA companies will not be able to
contribute to the ASF, due to this legal BS. (Getting a (large) company to
sign the CCLA without any direct benefits will barely ever happen.)

> At Jackrabbit for example, they have no author tags and their source
> files start with "Copyright 2004-2005 The Apache Software Foundation or
> its licensors, as applicable". This should cover both the collective
> work on which the ASF has copyright and the copyright of individual
> contributors  that have licenced their work to the ASF.

And on legal-discuss@ this formulation has come up, and deemed (by the
lawyers) not valid.

Cheers
Niclas