cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Removing author tags
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 07:26:09 GMT
On Tuesday 03 May 2005 23:07, Ralph Goers wrote:
> Well, that may be true, but not being a lawyer I really don't know.  As
> I read it I understood Larry basically saying, "We provide the legal
> guidance, but we can't make you do anything".   However, I guess I'd
> like somebody to clarify this to the point that we really understand
> what we should be doing.

more complex than @author tags and Copyright notices at the top of each file.

The discussion has been revolving around the necessity for employees (esp in
the USA) to get the Corporate CLA signed by his/her employer even if no OSS
development was happening at work. The bottom line was basically, "No matter
when an employee produces IP, the employer can claim it.", but I got the
strong impression that this is not the case in Europe, where the employer can
not claim IP (even with IP transfer contracts) if it has been produced
without any assistance of the employer (i.e. bandwidth, computers, office
space, et cetera)

I am sure more rigid recommendations around ICLA, CCLA and Copyright notices
will emerge from the legal group in due time.

Meanwhile, since many other Apache projects have removed @author tags, and
have Copyright notice set to ASF, the Cocoon project will not inflict any
additional damage if this is not correct procedure, until told otherwise.

Cheers
Niclas