cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Planet Cocoon license and reuse of docs
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 12:47:01 GMT
On 27 May 2005, at 03:24, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> I believe, I am reading this mail with a time delay. What is clear to
> me
> is that I don't received a root password of the cocoon Solaris zone.
> And I
> don't know if the zone is already up. If I becomes the root of our
> zone,
> then I will be glad to provide all the necessary support to materialize
> this effort.

Great. Maybe I understated my own sysadmin capabilities - if Solaris is
a wee bit Unix-like, I'll find my way around and I'll be able to help
out. And I've got experience using Wrapper (tanukisoftware.org) to
deploy Java apps as services, running under their own user - I use this
extensively at cocoondev.org (on Debian Linux).

AFAIU, setup has been aborted prematurely, and infra@ folks are still
discussing ways to handle password handover. So no zone and password as
of now, but it's somewhere in the pipeline.

> As pointed before, I believe we can also setup there some cocoon demo
> sites. I know, this is OT here, but I think it will be good to have 3
> demos:
>
> 1- Current released version
> 2- Daily SVN 2.1.x
> 3- Daily SVN 2.2.x
>
> Having up demo sites are a powerful marketing tool. And I am sure all
> of
> us know that. ;-)
>
> How to do that? I think we have 3 posibilities:
>
> A. On the same servlet container instalation.

-1

> C. Diferent containers using diferent ports for each instalation.

+1

I know my way around mod_proxy and friends to set this up properly.
Seems like the box is quite powerful, so running a few Java VMs
alongside each other shouldn't be a problem. And Daisy needs 3 of them
anyhow (OpenJMS/repo server/Cocoon).

Daisy binaries come with a precompiled Cocoon distribution, so setup is
rather easy - we'll just have to juggle around port numbers.

I volunteer to hand-migrate Helma's http://cocoondev.org/handbook/
stuff, and I'll get back to the list to discuss Daisy configuration
(mostly metadata, document types, collections, branches and languages,
and how we'll configure the draft/publish/comment/ACL to make it easy
and manageable). Once we have that stabilized, and work on the
refactoring of the Daisy publishing code has started, we can look at
skinning - upsofar the contract for skin-implementors is a bit too
volatile IMO. So I'd propose to just stick with the default layout, or
only tweak the CSS.

People interested in co-administering Daisy (users, creation of
variants, ACL rules, sites): please stand up.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org