cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Micro kernel based Cocoon
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 07:07:06 GMT
Le 20 mai 05, à 15:38, Daniel Fagerstrom a écrit :

> Sylvain proposed [1] to base blocks on the OSGi service platform
> [2][3]. After having studied it in more detail I'm completely
> convinced that it is the way to go...

After reading some of the knopflerfish and osgi.org material I agree
that an OSGI kernel looks really good for our purposes. Standing on the
shoulders of *other* giants might be a good idea for these relatively
complex things, provided the external tools are backed by a solid (and
ASF-compatible) community.

I haven't looked much at http://oscar.objectweb.org/ yet, but from a
community point of view it might be a good idea to build more bridges
to the ObjectWeb community - they seem to have some great stuff there.

> ...Following the above architecture, or some better ;) we can start
> experimenting with classloader isolation, deplyment from remote
> repositories and so on without introducing any back incompabilities or
> having to do any major rewritings...

To me this is a killer advantage of your proposal.

Big +1, or rather +0 as I won't have much cycles to contribute. But
following the idea at least until it can be compared (also in
performance) with the current code sounds really good.

-Bertrand