cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rationalising CForms Flowscript Params
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:52:53 GMT

On 1 Apr 2005, at 15:33, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> <rant>
>>
>> During the process of stabilising CForms could we please consider
>> rationalising the parameters sent to forms.js from the sitemap?
>>
>> This really bugs me :
>>
>> <map:call function="handleForm">
>>     <map:parameter name="function" value="myFunction"/>
>>     <map:parameter name="form-definition" value="model.xml"/>
>>     <map:parameter name="bindingURI" value="binding.xml"/>
>>
>> Can we come up with better matching names for these please ?
>> Names that have a similar case and/or hyphenation scheme?
>>
>> form-function, form-model, form-binding
>> form-function, form-definition, form-binding
>> formFunction, formModel, formBinding
>> formFunction, formModelURI, formBindingURI
>> function, modelURI, bindingURI
>>
>> etc etc.
>>
>> I do not really mind what they are, but they should at least look as
>> if they are within the same concern.
>>
>> I propose that the old names are used if the new ones were not
>> supplied but a deprecation notice is logged, then later they can be
>> taken out.
>

> I propose that the "handleForm" shall be deleted, as IMO it really
> doesn't make sense to specify all this information in the sitemap ;-)
>
> Compare this :
> <map:call function="handleForm">
>    <map:parameter name="function" value="myFunction"/>
>    <map:parameter name="form-definition" value="model.xml"/>
>    <map:parameter name="bindingURI" value="binding.xml"/>
> </map:call>
>
> function myFunction(form) {
>    form.showForm("blah");
> }
>
> and this, which does exactly the same:
>
> <map:call function="myFunction"/>
>
> function myFunction() {
>    var form = new Form("model.xml");
>    form.createBinding("binding.xml");
>    form.showForm("blah");
> }
>
> I personally never used this "handleForm" function and consider it as
> some old legacy.

Hmmm, I disagree.

I never like to embed names of files or pipelines in flowscript
functions.
I always pass these in from the sitemap.
This way, the sitemap is the place where all paths, filenames, uris are
managed, or the location that consistently retrieves these from a
config, via input-modules.
I do not like to spread this around as it makes refactoring more
difficult.

regards Jeremy

                                 IT IS NOT FROM ME

                         Always check the label, folks !!!!!