cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:38:49 GMT

Upayavira wrote:

> 1) It won't actually run Ant yet. It isn't likely to be much to make it
> do it, but I haven't given it the time yet.
> 2) In its current state, it is GPL licenced. The author has said he's
> happy to change licence
> 3) It includes GPL libraries. I'd need to see if the author is prepared
> to remove these from it
> 4) The block selection is pretty laborious now. I would extend the
> installer app so that we can have a single selection box, where we
> tick/untick each block, and scroll down.
> 5) I haven't tested the gui.cmd script, but it should work, as the
> settings are the same as the Unix script.

(gui.cmd works)

I take it that antinstall-config.xml is (will be) autogenerated from the
blocks configuration files?

> Thoughts?

I can see this being useful for first time cocooners.

What if the cocoon build switches to maven (as rumoured a few times
already)? Can the tool be extended to handle this? Will you need
seperate logic to handle the 2.2 block configuration?

Overall, IMO the potential effort of maintaining such a tool isn't worth
the benefit.

Regards,
Jorg